Search Engine Marketing (SEM) entails optimization of your website and also includes social marketing. It markets your website in every form to gain rankings.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is quite a mouthful, but it basically means your website is “Optimized” for the search engines.
The Dictionary defines Optimized as:
1. to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible.
2. to make the best of.
3. Computers – to write or rewrite (the instructions in a website) so as to maximize efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.
4. Mathematics . to determine the maximum or minimum values of a specified function that is subject to certain constraints.
5. to be optimistic.
What does this mean to you?
If you have a website, you want people to find it right? Unfortunately there are literally millions of sites within the search engines date files that never get referred to, except on the odd occasion where you might give your customers your specific web address for them to look at.
This method is great for the customers you already have, but what about the people out there that want your product or service, but don’t know where to find you?
That’s where Search Engine Marketing or Search Engine Optimization come in. The people you want are prospective customers to boost your inquiries (traffic) and your sales.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is the specific method used to optimize your website – see meaning 3 given by the dictionary – which pretty well explains what it is.
is the first step. Your website must be made easily readable to search engines, which their data bases demand.
A search engine will not spend time crawling through a website if the information it wants is not there, or difficult to find.
This involves getting people, or other sites to link to your site.
These linking sites must be of good quality and preferably have a good page rank of their own. The higher their page rank, the more the search engines will reward your site (this is known as good “juice”)
The back linking sites must also be relevant to the topic of your content or website. Usually, the more back links of quality you have, the more juice is awarded by the search engines.
The most important aspect of SEO is selecting the correct keywords. These are the words that people enter into the search engine search bar to find the information they want.
Without the right keywords, your site will not rank anywhere, also if the keyword is highly competitive, you will have a hard job getting the search engines to select your site over others for the coveted page one position.
This encompasses all of the SEO principles listed above, but will also include”
- Social Marketing – Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google + etc. (Search Engine Marketing companies can create an account for you and monitor it daily)
- Entering your site in local business directories – (Again Search Engine Marketing companies will enter your details and update them as necessary)
- Adding like buttons that automatically link your content to your social media sites – (This is vital and Search Engine Marketing Companies will install them)
- Developing a “Blog” on your site, linking the comments to your social media sites. – (Search Engine Marketing companies can set up a blog on your site and market it)
So basically, there is not a lot of difference between the two, but Search Engine Marketing is all encompassing and is ultimately easier to remember and to say.
Some SEO companies will not necessarily supply search engine marketing within their services. Search Engine Mareketing companies definitely will.
Well I hope you have a better idea of the difference now and it is up to you to decide which you prefer – Search Engine Optimization– or Search Engine Marketing – personally I would opt for the one that get’s me more visitors to my site – Search Engine Marketing.